Android Overtakes iOS In Australia

Research by International Data Corporation has found that Android has overtaken iOS as the most popular operating system in Australia. 63% of smartphones shipped to Australia in Q2 2017 ran on the Android operating system, with Apple's iOS making up the remaining 37%. This is a big difference to Q4 2016, when iOS led the way, accounting for 54% of the smartphone OS market. Android's sharp rise in popularity has been attributed to the launch of several new Android devices in Australia, as well as the fact that the latest Apple iPhone is at the end of its life cycle, with the latest iPhone model expected to be released in October. There are currently an estimated 15.2 million smartphone users in Australia, with this figure expected to rise to 16.5 million by 2021.