- Contact Us
Move your website without negatively impacting your SEO
Website migration does not automatically mean losing rankings
A website migration involves moving your website from one domain to another. There are many good reasons why you might want to migrate your website, for example if you want to improve your website's structure to make navigation easier for the user, or if you are changing your global domain strategy to aid your international SEO efforts. However, it can come at a heavy cost to your SEO if you lose your domain authority and backlink history. An SEO Strategist can assist you with your website migration by producing a custom website migration guide, a redirect plan, auditing your new website while it is still in a development environment (not live yet) and – finally – validating the redirect implementation after “go live”.ENQUIRE NOW
Assistance with website migration can help...
When you are moving your website to a new domain or URL structure and don’t want to lose your domain authority and backlink history,
When you are completely restructuring your website and aren’t sure where to put your old pages in the hierarchy.
What is website migration?
When you move your website from one domain to another (e.g. from .com to .co.uk), this is called website migration. There are several reasons why you might choose to undergo a website migration. You might want to improve your website's structure, in order to make navigation easier for the user and improve retention and conversions. Alternatively, you might be changing your global domain strategy to aid your international SEO efforts.
However, if done without care and attention, a website migration can result in your website losing domain authority and its backlink history, which can be disastrous for your SEO.
We will help you move one website to another so you retain the quality and backlinks from your old website with a minimum of problems. We can help you from the beginning to the end of the process, but the earlier you can get us involved, the better and more relevant our recommendations will be.
A full website migration process involves an SEO Strategist producing:
- a migration guide tailored to your website outlining all of those potential issues and letting you know if they're likely to affect you
- a redirection plan outlining where you need to implement redirects to make sure none of that valuable targeted “link juice” is lost
- an audit on the new website while it is still in a development environment
- a redirect validation to ensure all redirects have been implemented successfully according to the redirect plan
How does website migration work?
The process begins by completing a briefing questionnaire to clarify your objectives. We will need to know your website URL and the changes you wish to make. This briefing will be visible to all the team members involved with delivering the service and is the foundation for all our quality checks.
In a full migration process, an SEO Strategist will deliver the following:
- A redirect plan listing all URLs of the current website mapped to URLs of the new website where redirects need to be implemented, explaining the choices where necessary. A full crawl of the current and new website will be carried out to compile a list of these URLs and do the mapping. Please note that the new website (still in a test environment) must be complete. Otherwise, we will not be able to complete the mapping process.
- A step-by-step website migration guide including best practice on redirect implementations, common migration problems with things to avoid and other recommendations relevant to this migration project.
- An audit on the new website while still in test environment to ensure that it is free of any technical errors that could prevent the website migration from being successful.
- A validation of redirects after “go live” to ensure that all redirects have been implemented successfully according to the redirect plan and to report on missing redirects or those which have not been implemented correctly.
Please note that we cannot guarantee your rankings will be the same after a migration; rather, this service will provide you with everything you need to ensure you get a healthy start and lose as little traffic as possible.
Webcertain Group is passionate about generating business growth for its clients in any part of the world. A team of native speakers of all the world’s major languages works together to achieve client objectives - no one understands working with different cultures and the nuances of language in the globe’s search engines better than the Webcertain multilingual teams. Webcertain operates in 44 languages.
Site Migration users often also use:
- Contact Us